Local News

Authorities Continue To Investigate Deadly Sharpsburg House Fire

Posted Updated

SHARPSBURG, N.C. — Firefighters are investigating a Monday morning fire that claimed the lives of a Sharpsburg couple.

Firefighters said David "Junior" Strachan, 37, and his wife, Brenda, 30, likely died of smoke inhalation.

Around 6:30 a.m., Michael Vick noticed smoke coming from his neighbor's home and called 911. Vick then went to his neighbor's front door. When no one answered, he broke the door down.

"When I first saw the smoke coming out of the house, I knew it was serious because nobody was coming out of the house and I knew there were two occupants in the home," he said.

"There was no oxygen in the house at all, so it was very hard to get out. Being asleep at the time, and maybe being incoherent, whatever, it was probably tough to get out," said Chief Randall Collie, of the Sharpsburg Fire Department.

Sharpsburg police and firefighters are investigating, but have ruled out foul play and said a kerosene heater could be to blame.

The Strachan's were active church members who were married about five years ago, according to their pastor.

Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.