Easley Calls For Review Of Recovery Efforts
Posted December 12, 2002 5:21 a.m. EST
RALEIGH, N.C. — The job of cleaning up from last week's ice storm is still not over, but Gov. Mike Easley is already reviewing it.
As of 6 p.m. Thursday, Duke Power officials said there are 9,700 customers waiting for power in Durham County and 4,400 customers in Orange County. CP&L still has about 2,200 customers out in Granville and Vance counties.
"We think we did a pretty good job," CP&L spokesman Keith Poston said. "It was cold and we never forgot that our customers were freezing and it was hard on us because we knew there were people out there suffering.
Easley called for a taskforce to review of recovery efforts Thursday following the ice storm that blanketed 40 North Carolina counties with up to one-inch of ice last week. The storm caused an unprecedented power outage to more than 1 million residents statewide.
"To date, our primary focus has been getting the lights and heat back on in homes across the state," said Easley. "Now that we are nearly complete in that effort, we must review the recovery response to determine what went right and what needs improvement."
In addition to reviewing the state's broad emergency response, Easley asked the task force to look at several specific issues, including: