Local News

Families Receiving Food Stamps Can Request Replacement Benefits

Posted December 9, 2002 6:56 a.m. EST

— State officials announced Monday that families who are receiving food stamps whose food spoiled during the recent power outages can request replacement food stamp benefits.

The state Department of Health and Human Services say individuals and families may go to their local county social services office to request benefits.

The families and individuals in need would have to provide a written statement of the food loss. If the request is approved, the department of social services would provide replacement benefits upon receipt of the written statement.

Families not receiving food stamps that might be in need of food assistance can also apply for food-stamp benefits by contacting the county department of social services.