Wake Board May Ask For More Money To Build Schools
Posted August 21, 2002 6:06 a.m. EDT
RALEIGH, N.C. — Wake County school officials may be asking for more money next year to fund new schools.
Right now, the county is using 550 trailers to ease overcrowding. In 2000, voters passed a $500 million bond referendum to build 14 new schools, but school administrators say they will need at least 12 more to keep pace with growth. The school board is considering a $300 million bond referendum to accomplish its goal.
"It takes a lot of funds and commitment from the community to have an outstanding school system. So far, we have been able to keep that support because we do the things we say we're going to do and fix the things that we say we're going to fix," said assistant Wake County superintendent Mike Burriss.
Jill Touchberry said she would not support another bond issue because the school system failed to do what it said it was going to do with the November 2000 bond -- add new year-round schools.
"That really saddens me as a parent and as a volunteer because I put up a lot of bond pickets, and I put in a lot of time on bond campaigns and when they tell you they are going to do something and they don't do it and they call you and say 'Can you put up bond signs.' No," she said.
If the Wake County school board and the Wake County commissioners sign off on the referendum, it will be up for a vote in November 2003.