Local News

Grill Sparks Apex House Fire

Posted Updated

APEX — A reminder from the Apex Fire Department: Never leave a grill unattended.

Firefighters were called out to a house on Flint Pond Circle at the Walden Creek subdivision near Highways 64 and 55 in Apex Monday evening.

Officials said the homeowner was using a gas grill on his deck. When the homeowner ran out of gas, he used charcoal instead.

Officials said the homeowner did not use a drip/catch pan. When the embers ignited, they fell on the deck, causing the fire.

"Believe it or not, one hot ember can take and ignite a deck. If you're inside checking on something and you come back out, you might have more barbecuing than you planned on," said Chief Mark Haraway fo the Apex Fire Department.

The home was for sale. Nearby homes suffered some heat damage.

The fire, coupled with the hot weather, also took its toll on firefighters. One firefighter suffered a sprained ankle and went to the hospital as a precaution. Officials said he is doing fine.

Officials said the roof of the house partially collapsed due to the fire.

Crews were able to get the fire under control about 45 minutes later.

Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.