Local News

Investigators Rule Out Arson In Raleigh Saddle Shop Fire

Posted Updated

RALEIGH, N.C. — The owner of a Raleigh store is already thinking about rebuilding after his shop went up in flames Saturday afternoon.

Owner A.J. Daniels has sold saddles, western clothing, boots and horse supplies at Pat's Saddle Shop on Rock Quarry Road for 21 years.

He estimates damages at nearly $500,000.

"It's a total loss," Daniels said. "The fireman said it and everyone who's looked at it said it's a total loss."

The fire was apparently fueled by the inventory inside and the wood structure.

Daniels said he tried to grab the fire extinguisher, but the smoke was too intense.

"The Wake County Fire Department told me last night the best thing you did was not do that because the smoke would have gotten you, and then you would have burnt to death before anybody knew you were even in there," Daniels said.

Daniels was able to save about $10,000 to $15,000 worth of inventory.

The Wake County Fire Marshal believes the fire was accidental and its cause will be listed as under continued investigation.

While investigtors have narrowed down the area where they believe the fire started, they said they probably will never know the exact cause because of the amount of damage.

Copyright 2022 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.