Local News

Officials: Faulty Wiring Cause Of Kenly Church Fire

Posted January 16, 2002 1:55 a.m. EST

— Fire investigators have determined that a fire at a Kenly church was caused by faulty wiring in the crawlspace.

Damage to Mincey Chapel Baptist Church is estimated at $200,000.

The congregation of the Johnston County church said that they will find a way to rebuild their sanctuary after the church went up in flames around 3:30 a.m. Sunday.

Firefighters were unable to do much to save the historic structure.

Most parishioners did not find out about the fire until they arrived for Sunday services.

"We just thank God no one was here in the church and got injured. We're a church with a heart full of love," Pastor David Hill said.

Sunday services were held in a building behind the church that was not damaged.