Local News

Fayetteville Woman Finds Blessing In Tragedy

Posted Updated

FAYETTEVILLE, NC — A Fayetteville woman whose house was destroyed by a Christmas Eve fire says this has been the best holiday ever, thanks to some good samaritans.

For more than 15 years, Glenda Hickman and her eight-year-old son Jerich lived in the same place. But just one day before Christmas, an electrical heater sparked a fire in a mobile home just a few feet away from theirs.

The fire spread to their living room, destroying the Christmas tree, presents and school clothes for Jerich.

But thanks to some caring strangers, the Westarea Elementary student will have a brand new coat and shirts for school.

"This is the best Christmas I ever had," Hickman said. "Even though there's tragedy ... behind it ... I've been really blessed."

Hickman had no renter's insurance.

Her landlord has given her family a place to stay until she gets back on her feet. Friends and strangers have given her furniture, a microwave and money, as well.

 Credits

Shani Blount, Reporter
Julie Moos, Web Editor

Copyright 2022 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.