Wake County Residents Lose Fight To Stop Landfill
Posted December 27, 2001 7:32 a.m. EST
RALEIGH, N.C. — Residents in the Auburn section of southeastern Wake County have reached a settlement with Material Recovery of Raleigh to stop fighting its plans for a landfill near their homes. Waste that the company cannot recycle will be dumped there.
The property in question sits near Old Baucom and Brownfield roads, a few miles north of Highway 70 in southeastern Wake County.
For about a year, the community pulled out all the stops to halt the project -- passing out pamphlets, selling calendars, even building a Web site. Then, they realized they could not fight anymore.
"We have really rallied and we have really tried, but we have found it impossible to fight City Hall with the resources that we have," said resident Pat Gupton. "As I signed the agreement, I was crying. I cried for days after."
"As far as the settlement was concerned, I didn't realize that we would receive money, and when I found that we were going to, I frankly felt that I had been bought off," said resident Doyle Long.
Attorneys representing both sides in the dispute refused to talk with WRAL, citing a confidentiality agreement. The attorney representing the community members actually hand-delivered a note to one of the people WRAL interviewed, urging them not to speak about the matter.