Julia Harrison went to the emergency room at Tulane University Hospital Saturday with a high fever, rapid heart rate and low blood pressure. Doctors found she had contracted meningococcal septicemia, a form of meningitis.
Since her death, 150 students have been given the antibiotic Cipro as a precaution against the disease.
Meningitis can be passed to others mainly by close contact. Activities such as drinking out of the same glass, smoking the same cigarette or kissing can also result in transmission.