Fred Smith Debate Statement
The following statement was submitted by Fred Smith in advance of Thursday's GOP gubernatorial debate on WRAL.Posted — Updated
North Carolinians are looking for a leader, not a critic or politician. Leaders proactively identify problems, provide a plan to effectively solve the problem, and then execute the plan with persistence and determination. The governor should have a clear understanding of state government, and in addition, have real life perspective and experience outside of government.
I am a conservative businessman with tested leadership skills and broad experience. I have been a farmer, served in the military, built a law firm, raised five wonderful children, grown successful businesses, and served as county commissioner and state senator. I am prepared to make the tough decisions necessary for North Carolina to meet our future challenges.
As governor, I will make it a top priority to create an environment that will expand innovation, entrepreneurship and opportunities for all North Carolinians. By doing so, we can cultivate more jobs, higher wages and a well-rounded economic base for our state. This growth will provide an expanded tax base, cut unemployment, and allow increased investment in infrastructure and our public schools.
Fred Smith’s agenda for taking North Carolina from “good to great”:
Empower our People:
- Reform Education- put students first
- Job Creation- support small business and entrepreneurship
- Adequate Infrastructure- build roads, repair bridges, water and sewer
Protect our People:
- Public Safety- ensure safe streets, safe homes, and safe schools
- Health Care- more accessible and affordable
- Protect Private Property Rights
Reflect the Values of our People:
- Uphold our Immigration laws
- Honest, Responsible Government
- Defend Traditional Marriage
Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.