NCCU students offer free tax help
Posted January 27, 2011 1:47 p.m. EST
Updated January 27, 2011 1:49 p.m. EST
Durham, N.C. — North Carolina Central University students trained and certified in tax preparation are offering free help this winter and spring.
Starting this Saturday, NCCU student volunteers will prepare federal and state tax returns for individuals and families who made less than $49,000 in 2010.
Volunteers will be available 4-7 p.m. Fridays and 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturdays in the Legal Clinic office in the Turner Law Building. The service won't take place during spring break, which runs March 4-13.
Returns can be filed electronically on site, making refunds available in seven to 10 days, or be printed to be filed by mail. Spanish-speaking tax preparers will usually be available.
Services are available to both walk-ins and appointments. To schedule an appointment, call 919-530-6011.
To have your taxes prepared, be sure to bring:
- Valid photo identification
- Social Security cards for the individual, spouse and dependents or a Social Security number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and any dependents on the tax return
- 2010 tax package if available
- Wage and earning statements (W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers)
- Interest and dividend statements (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
- Bank routing and account numbers (direct deposit only)
- Total paid to day care provider and the day care provider's tax ID number , Social Security number or employer identification number
- Student tuition statement (Form 1098T)
To file taxes electronically on a married filing joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.