Wilson teaches music at Pathways Elementary School in Hillsborough, where he has been on the faculty since 2006.
“This is an incredible honor,” Wilson said in a statement. “There are so many outstanding teachers in Orange County Schools, it is humbling to be named as the district’s Teacher of the Year.”
Wilson was selected as the building-level Teacher of the Year for Pathways Elementary, before competing against 12 other teachers, including Darla Bray, one of his former teachers, for the title of Teacher of the Year.
"Wayne Wilson personifies professional excellence," Superintendent Patrick Rhodes said in a statement. "He is the type of teacher who connects with students and has a long-lasting, positive impact on them. We are very proud to have him represent our district as he progresses to the regional Teacher of the Year competition."
Wilson will now compete against eight other teachers of the year for the title of Piedmont-Triad Central Region Teacher of the Year.
Orange County School building-level Teachers of the Year finalists for 2010-2011:
- Wayne Wilson at Pathways Elementary School
- Melissa Ronches at A.L. Stanback Middle School
- Darla Bray at Gravelly Hill Middle School
- Beth Yount at Cameron Park Elementary School
- Kari Mashburn at Central Elementary School
- Stacy Lingle- Efland at Cheeks Elementary School
- Rebecca Kirkendall at Grady A. Brown Elementary School
- Chris Walker at Hillsborough Elementary School
- Kristi Dameron at New Hope Elementary School
- Robert MacLeod at C.W. Stanford Middle School
- Lynne Gronback at Cedar Ridge High School
- Nina Daye at Orange High School
- Bill Kenyon at Partnership Academy