Cary to host six NCAA championships
Posted September 24, 2008 4:27 p.m. EDT
Cary, N.C. — The NCAA on Wednesday selected Cary to host six national championships in the next four years.
Cary will be one of six inaugural members in the “NCAA Championship City” pilot program in which championships in various college sports will be clustered in cities that have experience hosting such events. Other cities selected are Cleveland, Indianapolis, St. Louis, San Diego and San Antonio.
Cary will host the following events:
- 2008 Division I Women’s College Cup at WakeMed Soccer Park
- 2009 Division I Men’s College Cup at WakeMed Soccer Park
- 2010 Division I Women’s College Cup at WakeMed Soccer Park
- 2010 Division II baseball championship at the USA Baseball National Training Center
- 2011 Division III men’s and women’s cross-country championships at WakeMed Soccer Park cross-country course
- 2012 Division III men’s and women’s tennis championships at Cary Tennis Park
Also, the 2009 Division I women’s basketball regional will be held at the RBC Center in Raleigh.
“Cary's selection is a testament to the Town Council’s dedication to making Cary one of America’s premier host communities for amateur and collegiate athletics,” Director of Parks, Recreation & Cultural Resources Mary Henderson said in a statement. “It also makes a statement about our venues and facilities, which the NCAA has recognized as some of the finest in the nation.”s