The goal is to make sure the children have enough healthy meals and snacks to carry them through the weekend.
Volunteers stuff backpacks with enough food for six healthy meals and two snacks. The children take the backpacks over the weekend and return them on Monday.
In 2007, the Backpack Buddies Program provided 120,000 meals for children.
People are encouraged to donate the following food types:
- canned meats, vegetables and soups with pop-tops
- individual-sized portions of cereal, grits and oatmeal
- microwaveable meals, such as Easy Mac and Spaghetttos
- healthy snacks, such as granola bars, raisins and Goldfish
- 100 percent-juice boxes and bottles and shelf-stable milk.
The program can also use new backpacks and monetary donations.
The marathon food drive lasts until 6 p.m.