Highway Patrol gets first female major
Posted August 28, 2008 11:39 a.m. EDT
Updated August 28, 2008 2:12 p.m. EDT
Raleigh, N.C. — The North Carolina Highway Patrol has its first female major, who will become training director at the patrol's academy.
The promotion of Capt. Jennifer Harris, 42, to major was one of eight promotions announced Thursday by patrol Commander Col. Walter Wilson Jr.
Harris has been with the patrol since 1989 and currently commands Troop D in Greensboro.
Promotions will become effective Sept. 17 when the officers take their oath.
Other promotions include the patrol's public information officer, Lt. Everett Clendenin, who joined the patrol in 1988. Effective Sept. 8, he will be a captain and oversee the patrol's traffic safety unit in addition to being spokesman.
Others promoted include:
- Maj. Randy Glover, to lieutenant colonel in Field Operations
- Capt. Randy Campbell to major in Motor Carrier/Special Operations
- Capt. Mike James to major in Troop Operations
- Lt. Tim Belch to captain in Internal Affairs
- Lt. David McCoy to captain in Troop D, Greensboro
- Lt. Chris Phillips to captain in Administrative Services