Noteworthy

Dog recovering after swallowing fork

Apachee, 10, endured surgery and multiple blood transfusions. He is expected to make a full recovery.

Posted Updated
Apachee, 10, swallowed a fork

A Raleigh dog is recovering from surgery after he swallowed a fork.

Apachee, 10, endured surgery and multiple blood transfusions after his veterinarian identified the source of his distress. X-rays showed the fork lodged in the dog's chest cavity.

Doctors at Veterinary Specialty Hospital of the Carolinas in Cary said the fork had pierced a vein in his chest, releasing blood around his lungs. Dr. Gary Spodnick led the surgical team that patched the vein and removed the fork.

Apachee's owners think he must have snagged the fork from the kitchen sink sometime in early August. He developed a cough, declined food and later collapsed.

He is expected to make a full recovery, however.

Image
1 / 2

Copyright 2022 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.