Nearly 14K households test Wake schools assignment plan
Posted June 28, 2011 6:24 p.m. EDT
Updated June 28, 2011 6:31 p.m. EDT
Raleigh, N.C. — Nearly 14,000 Wake County households participated in a trial run of a proposed student assignment plan expected to go before the local school board for approval this fall, a school system spokesman said Tuesday.
The 12-day test drive of the Community-Based Choice plan, also referred to as the blue plan, allowed parents from 13,805 households to see how the Wake County Public School System could potentially place students in schools under a new student assignment policy that was adopted last year.
The blue plan allows parents to choose from four to six elementary schools, each linked with a middle and high school. Students get priority based on where they live and whether they have a sibling at the school. The plan also takes into account achievement balance and capacity at each school.
The plan is one of two that Superintendent Tony Tata introduced last month.
The other plan, the Base Schools Achievement plan, or green plan, is more similar to the current assignment model. Under it, the school system assigns students based on student achievement, ensuring that students from low-performing areas end up at high-performing schools.
Tata has said that school staff will look at the data and finalize the plan before seeking board approval in the fall.
The plan will take effect beginning with the 2012-2013 school year.