Public invited to comment on Wake schools 2011-12 assignment
Posted December 17, 2010 6:19 p.m. EST
Updated January 10, 2011 2:26 p.m. EST
Raleigh, N.C. — The Wake County Board of Education will hold a series of public hearings in January to get input on the proposal for student assignment in the 2011-12 school year.
Meetings, which begin at 6 p.m., will be held:
- Jan. 12 at Millbrook Magnet High, 2201 Spring Forest Road, Raleigh (rescheduled from Jan. 11 because of winter weather)
- Jan. 13 at Heritage High, 1150 Forestville Road ,Wake Forest
- Jan. 19 at Southeast Raleigh High, 2600 Rock Quarry Road, Raleigh
- Jan. 20 at Garner Magnet High, 2101 Spring Drive, Garner
- Jan. 24 at Cary High, 638 Walnut St., Cary (rescheduled from Jan. 10 because of winter weather)
According to the figures released Jan. 5 by the Wake County Public School System’s growth and planning department, the proposed changes could affect the placement of 4,703 students – 2,625 elementary, 1,103 middle and 975 high school students.
The plan is separate from the longer-term plan to redo how students are assigned to schools across the county.
The board majority voted in February to focus student assignment on geography rather than economic diversity, but progress on that policy change stalled in October when board members could not agree on how to proceed.