Burns remains Wake schools chief, for now
Posted March 2, 2010 1:32 p.m. EST
Raleigh, N.C. — It appears Del Burns will stay on as the superintendent of the Wake County Public School System, for now.
School board Chairman Ron Margiotta said Tuesday that the board took no action regarding Burns' contract, despite two hours of discussions behind closed doors.
The discussion isn't over, though, Margiotta said.
In several interviews last month, Burns, who announced he's resigning June 30, criticized the board's new majority and expressed concern about the direction of the school system's future
He also accused the board of "partisan political gamesmanship" and said ending the school system's decade-old diversity policy would segregate rich schools and poor schools in the school system.
Almost immediately, two local groups called on the school board to replace Burns, and members of the board's new majority expressed concern about whether they could continue to work with him.
"I'm still at the table, still working," Burns said Tuesday during a break from the school boards Committee of the Whole meeting. "Let's leave it at that."
Burns announced his resignation Feb. 16, saying that he doesn't agree with some of the changes the board's new majority has made and wants to make.
Implementing the changes, Burns said, would go against his principles and beliefs.