NC superintendent: Lawmakers should delay $5.1M cut to education agency
North Carolina's superintendent of public schools is asking lawmakers to delay a planned $5.1 million cut to the state education agency's operating budget for the 2018-19 school year, saying his agency needs the money to be more efficient and effective.Posted — Updated
The State Board of Education may join the superintendent in that request. Board members are expected to vote on the matter Thursday.
"In order to put these recommendations into action, I have asked the General Assembly to restore the [budget cuts] scheduled to take place July 1, pending the implementation of these recommendations," Johnson said in a statement.
Johnson and the state board have been embroiled in an ongoing legal battle over control of the state's $10 billion public school system. The case is currently before the North Carolina Supreme Court.
As lawmakers cut the state education agency's budget, they voted to include about $700,000 in the state budget last summer for Johnson to hire up to 10 staffers without the approval of the state board. They also provided him with $300,000 for his legal expenses while barring the state board from using taxpayer money to fund its lawsuit.
"If [the auditors] come in here and they say, 'It is our unbiased opinion that this department cannot handle any more cuts,' then that’s the answer," Johnson told state board members last year.
The General Assembly reduced the agency's administrative funds by 6.2 percent this school year and 13.9 percent next school year.
Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.