National Night Out events planned across Triangle
Posted August 2, 2010 9:26 p.m. EDT
Updated August 3, 2010 1:29 p.m. EDT
National Night Out is Tuesday and there are several celebrations in the area. The national event aims to rally support and participation in efforts to fight crime and drug use and offers plenty of family-friendly activities - both fun and educational.
I'm sure I'm missing some, but among the events in the area:
- Cary Towne Center, 1105 Walnut St., Cary will have some police vehicles, fire trucks and emergency vehicles on display; child identification kits for parents; and more from 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. Tuesday. Click here for details. (The link will say it starts at 6 p.m., though I'm told the official start time is really 6:30 p.m.)
- North Hills, at Six Forks Road and the Beltline in Raleigh, will celebrate the night with visitors from the Raleigh Police Department, Wake County Sherrif's Department, Wake County Fire Department and more from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday. There also will be live music. Click here for details.
- There also will be events in neighborhoods across Raleigh, along with the Sam's Club on Calvary Drive off Capital Boulevard from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.; the Safety Club at 513 Branch St. from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.; Roberts Park at 1300 E. Martin St. from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.; and Tarboro Community Center at 121 N. Tarboro Rd. from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Events are planned in neighborhoods across Durham. A kickoff is scheduled for 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at the Holton Career & Recreation Center, at 401 N. Driver Street, Durham. Click here for details.
- Garner police, fire and rescue staffers will be at the Target at the White Oak Shopping Center from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday. There will be inflatables for the kids and other activities. Click here for details.
- And Holly Springs will hold a National Night Out event from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday at Jones Park, which is off Holly Springs Road next to Holly Springs Elementary School. There will be food, games and other family activities. Click here for details.