Local News

N.C. State vet school evacuated after beaker explodes

A building at the North Carolina State University's College of Veterinary Medicine was briefly evacuated Wednesday morning when a beaker exploded in a laboratory.

Posted Updated
N.C. State vet school evacuation
RALEIGH, N.C. — A building at the North Carolina State University's College of Veterinary Medicine was briefly evacuated Wednesday morning when a beaker exploded in a laboratory.

Campus police Capt. Jon Barnwell said that a graduate student was heating a substance in a beaker in a lab in the college's small animal hospital. The beaker burst, and fragments struck the student in the face.

She was transported to a local hospital to be treated for non-life-threatening injuries, Barnwell said.

The building was evacuated as a precaution while emergency responders evaluated the scene.

Image

 Credits

Anne Johnson, Web Editor

Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.