Museum festival commemorates classic actress
The Ava Gardner Museum in Smithfield is hosting its 8th Annual Ava Garner Festival this weekend, commemorating the famous actress and her friendship with three-time costar Gregory Peck.Posted — Updated
Several different tours, exhibits and films will be available, along with different price packages. Here's a summary of the weekend's events:
Friday, Oct. 5
- "The Great Sinner" Gala, 7 p.m.: Enjoy a fun casino night based on the 1866 novel The Gambler. All attendees will be entered into a drawing for a five-day beach cruise, and refreshments will be served. The museum will also be opening its new exhibits on Gardner and Peck's friendship. Tickets: $50.
Saturday, Oct. 6
- The museum opens its new exhibits at 9 a.m. Tickets: $7 for all-day admission.
- Heritage tours are scheduled throughout the day at 9 a.m., 11 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. The tour of Gardner's hometown includes many points of interest, including her birthplace, the Teacherage where she grew up and her grave. Tickets: $12.
- The museum will host movie showings throughout the day: "The Great Sinner" (11 a.m.), "On The Beach" (3 p.m.) and "The Snows of Kilimanjaro" (7 p.m.).
Sunday, Oct. 7
- The museum opens at 1 p.m., and the exhibits will be open until 6 p.m.
- A special showing of Peck's "To Kill a Mockingbird" will be shown at 2 p.m. in celebration of the film's 50th anniversary.
The museum also offers a special couple's package for the festival: $125 gets you entrance to Friday's Gala event, heritage tours, museum admission and t-shirts.