Movie filming shuts down Durham streets
Posted April 30, 2009 10:41 a.m. EDT
Durham, N.C. — West Main Street, near South Corcoran Street, was shut down at 8 a.m. Thursday for filming of "Main Street," starring Orlando Bloom and Colin Firth. The movie, being made in Durham, is expected to cause occasional closures around town through mid-May.
Police officers were directing traffic through the area. Main Street street will be open Friday.
Representatives of the film said some streets would be shut down from May 4, but they couldn't say which ones yet. Generally, the street closures will begin at 8 a.m. and last until between 5 p.m. and 1 a.m.
Last Monday, owners of businesses along Main Street said a street closure for the film caught them by surprise.
Filming for "Main Street" began last month, and scenes are being shot in several locations in and around downtown.
Aaron Syrett, director of the North Carolina Film Office, estimated filming would create about 300 temporary jobs for acting extras and film crew members. That would translate into $6 million to $10 million in local spending.
In the past 30 years, more than 800 films and 15 television series have shot on location in North Carolina. Twenty-four were filmed in Durham, including 1988's "Bull Durham" and 1997's "Kiss the Girls."