Local News

Mother, daughter out of hospital after fatal Onslow fire

A mother and daughter who were injured last month when a fire tore through their Onslow County home have been released from the hospital, relatives said Thursday.

Posted Updated
Onslow house fire
JACKSONVILLE, N.C. — A mother and daughter who were injured last month when a fire tore through their Onslow County home have been released from the hospital, relatives said Thursday.

Authorities said an electrical short in the refrigerator sparked the Feb. 23 fire at 2124 Wilmington Highway, in the Verona community south of Jacksonville.

Ten-year-old Hannah Pittman suffered third-degree burns on her arms, face and back, while her mother, Johnetta Pittman, suffered smoke inhalation after trying repeatedly to enter the burning house to rescue her children. Both were treated at the North Carolina Jaycee Burn Center at UNC Hospitals in Chapel Hill.

Three other children died in the fire. Authorities said Tabitha Pitttman, 12, and two younger brothers, Elijah, 9, and Gabriel, 7, died of smoke inhalation.

The remaining four Pittman children were previously released from area hospitals. Their father was at work when the fire started.

Image
1 / 2

 Credits

Stacy Davis, Reporter
Matthew Burns, Web Editor

Copyright 2022 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.