Morehead offers extended holiday hours, special deal
Morehead Planetarium in Chapel Hill will be open for extended hours over the next couple of weeks. The planetarium and science center is screening its popular "Star of Bethlehem."Posted — Updated
The planetarium at UNC-Chapel Hill, which is presenting its popular "Star of Bethlehem" show, will be operating under its Saturday daytime schedule through Thursday and Dec. 27 to Dec. 31. Morehead is closed on Christmas Eve and Christmas day.
The "Star of Bethlehem" examines the astronomical phenomena that might explain the legend of the star that led three wise men to the birthplace of Jesus in Bethlehem. The show features perspectives from scholars in art history, religious studies and science.
"Star of Bethlehem" is one of the three shows on Morehead's schedule right now. The show is in its original analog format. The other shows - "Earth, Moon and Sun" and "Astronaut" are in Morehead's fulldome digital video projection system.
Morehead will give anybody who buys "Star of Bethlehem" tickets an opportunity to come back to see one of Morehead's fulldome shows free in 2011. Morehead leaders say they want folks to know that the movie doesn't use the new system and want them to come back to experience what fulldome technology is all about.
- Wednesday, Dec. 22 Saturday schedule (day shows only)
- Thursday, Dec. 23 Saturday schedule (day shows only)
- Sunday, Dec. 26 Sunday schedule
- Monday, Dec. 27 Saturday schedule (day shows only)
- Tuesday, Dec. 28 Saturday schedule (day shows only)
- Wednesday, Dec. 29 Saturday schedule (day shows only)
- Thursday, Dec. 30 Saturday schedule (day shows only)
- Friday, Dec. 31 Saturday schedule (day shows only)
- Saturday, Jan. 1 Saturday schedule
- Sunday, Jan. 2 Sunday schedule