Local News

Mercury Scare at Clinton High

Posted April 2, 2008 3:59 p.m. EDT

— A Clinton High School student brought what was believed to be a container of mercury to school Wednesday, authorities said.

The area where the student went was immediately isolated so no other students would come in contact with the toxic metal, authorities said.

Authorities said they believe three other students handled the bottle the material was in, but none came in contact with the mercury.

All four students met with Sampson County Health Department officials, and all Clinton High students and faculty were told about the symptoms of mercury poisoning so they could seek medical help if needed.

There is no word Wednesday evening on possible charges against the student who brought the material to school, nor was there information about what the student planned to do with the mercury.