Man killed in Willow Spring house fire
Posted January 31, 2009 10:20 p.m. EST
Updated March 9, 2009 5:12 p.m. EDT
Willow Springs, N.C. — A man and a cat died in a house fire in the 200 block of Axum Road late Saturday, according to Nathan Burgess, chief of the 50-210 Community Fire Department in the McGee's Crossroads area.
The man was the only person inside the home at the time of the fire. Rescue workers saved a dog from the blaze, Burgess said.
When firefighters arrived at 8:40 p.m., heavy smoke poured from the home, and they found the man dead, Burgess said. Crews contained the fire to the living room.
Witnesses told fire officials that a crowd of people gathered outside the fire, and at least one person tried to save the man but was beaten back by the flames.
Fire officials did not comment on the cause of the fire but said they do not suspect foul play.
Authorities have not released the identity of the victim, but Burgess said he was well-liked in the community and a generous man.
A neighbor said she often saw the man outside walking the dog that rescue workers saved.