Man electrocuted at Hoke County power substation
Posted August 14, 2010 9:27 a.m. EDT
Updated August 14, 2010 3:11 p.m. EDT
Raeford, N.C. — A 23-year-old man died after being electrocuted while trying to steal copper wiring from a power substation near Raeford early Saturday, according to Hoke County Sheriff Hubert Peterkin.
The sheriff said that William Joshua Reavis, of Aberdeen, was cutting copper grounding from an electrical substation, at 106 N. Horace Walters Road, around 4 a.m. He was electrocuted and fell 10 feet to the ground.
Reavis was found dead by friend, Peterkin said.
The substation belongs to the Lumbee River Electric Member Corporation. Company spokesman Walter White said a chain and lock on a 7- to 8-foot fence surrounding the substation appeared to have been cut.
Peterkin said the investigation was ongoing.