Man convicted in robbery spree, shooting
Posted May 11, 2009 2:55 p.m. EDT
Raleigh, N.C. — A Raleigh man has been convicted on 19 charges stemming from a string of armed robberies last year that included a convenience store hold-up in Wake Forest in which the clerk was shot.
A federal court jury found Kendricus Marquell Williams, 21, of 505 E. Davie St., Apt. C, guilty of nine counts each of a Hobbs Act robbery and carrying a firearm during a crime of violence and one count of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. The Hobbs Act prohibits robbery or extortion that affects interstate commerce.
One of the nine robberies was at a Quality Food Mart on South Main Street in Wake Forest on Feb. 29, 2008. Clerk Samir Patel was shot in the abdomen during the robbery, authorities said.
Williams' co-defendant, Jesse Lee Bundy, 20, of 1312 Rio Valley Drive, Apt. 104, in Raleigh, testified against him during the week-long trial.
Prosecutors also introduced as evidence confessions Williams gave to police after his March 11, 2008, arrest. He tried to gain the sympathy of investigators by claiming that he needed the money from the robberies because his son needed a kidney transplant, authorities said.