As a native of central New York, I remember always planning my Halloween costume around my winter coat and sometimes trudging through snow for candy, so it would have to be pretty stormy for my kids to stay inside on Halloween.
WRAL is forecasting highs around 58 degrees and lows around 37 degrees, making it a cooler night for trick-or-treating. And that means some families may be looking for an indoor candy spot. Some of the region's malls will be open for trick-or-treating this year. Participating stores will be handing out candy.
One important note, however: Not all stores hand out candy and, in past years, the candy can run out very quickly. In some cases last year, children left with no candy or a handful of coupons or fliers. So, if you plan to trick or treat at the mall, get there as early as you can to ensure your child gets some candy. Some malls will have costume contests and other activities. Others will just have trick-or-treating.
Here's what's scheduled:
- 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., University Square, including Kidzu Children's Museum, in Chapel Hill. Kidzu, great for kids 8 and under, will offer special activities, which are free with admission to the museum.
- 4 p.m. to 7 p.m., Carolina Premium Outlets in Smithfield. Trick-or-treating for kids in costume ages 12 and under. Pick up a list of participating stores from the Information Center, between Nike and Dairy Queen.
- 5 p.m. at North Hills in Raleigh
- 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at University Mall in Chapel Hill
- 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., Oct. 31 at Crabtree Valley Mall in Raleigh
- 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Cary Towne Center in Cary. It's part of a celebration that is organized, in part, by the Town of Cary.
- 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. at Crossroads Plaza in Cary
- Not a mall, but there will be a Halloween event at the N.C. Museum of History from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. with trick or treating and more.
If you know of other malls participating in trick-or-treating or if your church will offer a special event Wednesday night, please share in the comments below.
Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.