Aging Well

Aging Well

Make your move easier

Posted December 4, 2018 10:06 a.m. EST
Updated December 4, 2018 10:08 a.m. EST

Moving is so daunting it's a wonder anyone ever does it voluntarily!

It's overwhelming to move from a home you've lived in for your adult life to a condo close to your children or a retirement community. Hiring a move manager can help, but those logistics aside, here are some tasks that require a long afternoon at your desk with your notepad, your computer and your phone.

To make your move easier, I've developed a list of useful directions and links:

Change your address with the United States Post Office
Remember that both spouses will need to submit a change of address here:

Department of Motor Vehicles
Not only can you change your address for your vehicle’s registration and taxes here, you can also update your voter registration:

Internal Revenue Service
You can print out the form you need here (, but it must be mailed in. Check the second page of the print out to see where you are supposed to mail it. If you live in North Carolina, here is the address: Department of the Treasury Internal Revenue Service Kansas City, MO 64999-0023

Social Security
Make sure you change this or you put your account at risk for identity theft. To do so, visit:

Change your bank address
In general, banks require that you do this in person. Bring a photo ID. It is a good idea to order new checks with your new address at the same time.

If utilities are included in your retirement community monthly fee…
You may need to simply change the billing address, but keep them on if you are selling a house until the contracts are signed, then cancel the services.

When changing your address for the following potential services,
consider setting up autodraft at the same time. As people age, many become more overwhelmed by administrative tasks. Setting up autodraft can help avoid putting key bills at risk of going unpaid or services discontinued (for example, longterm care insurance).
-    Investments
-    Supplemental health insurance
-    Longterm health insurance
-    Car insurance
-    Credit cards
-    Cell phone
-    Internet service
-    Subscriptions (newspapers, magazines, etc.)

To move your prescriptions
to a pharmacy closer to your new home, you will be asked to fill out a form at the new pharmacy, which they will use to request your current medications be transferred. Make sure you bring your driver’s license, your Medicare card and any supplemental medication insurance card.

To move your care to a new physician
you will need to find a practice which is accepting new Medicare patients (or whatever your primary health insurance provider is). Some retirement communities offer a clinic on-site or have a service, like Doctors Making House Calls, that make house calls twice a week at the community.

If you are moving across state lines, read my other article on important steps for doing so here.