Local News

Lockdown lifted at Cape Fear Valley Medical Center after threat

Posted December 29, 2019 9:15 p.m. EST
Updated December 30, 2019 2:53 p.m. EST

— Operations returned to normal Monday at Cape Fear Valley Medical Center in Fayetteville and three other of its centers around the state after a threat was made against hospital workers.

Law enforcement officers combed the medical officers after a man called the National Suicide Hotline, threatening to kill himself and first responders employed by the hospital.

The lockdown was ordered Sunday evening around 8 p.m. before officers descended on the Fayetteville hospital, located at 1638 Owen Drive.

Police were able to use cell phone technology to determine the call's location.

The caller originally said he was near Mile Marker 48 on Interstate 95 in Fayetteville before then saying he was outside Cape Fear Valley's Fayetteville campus.

The situation prompted authorities to restrict admission to the Cape Fear while police investigated the matter.

As a precaution, hospital administrators also restricted access to Hoke Hospital, Bladen County Hospital and Highsmith-Rainey Specialty Hospital.

No injuries were reported but the emergency room was open only to patients in need of emergency care, officials said.

The lockdown was in place early Monday morning, but visitors were allowed inside all campuses again by 7:30 a.m.

In November, a Fayetteville police officer shot and killed a man who was under the supervision of a Fayetteville sheriff's deputy at the facility.

That incident occurred about 8:30 a.m. on a Wednesday morning when a man identified as Treva Smutherman, 31, got into a scuffle with the deputy.

A Fayetteville police officer who was already at the hospital while investigating a different case was able to confront the man, and fatally shot Smutherman in the process, authorities said.

Our commenting policy has changed. If you would like to comment, please share on social media using the icons below and comment there.