Local News

Lightning sparked Chapel Hill house fire

Posted June 30, 2008 6:39 a.m. EDT
Updated June 30, 2008 3:30 p.m. EDT

— Authorities in Chapel Hill say lightning sparked a house fire Sunday night.

The fire started around 8:30 p.m. Sunday at 4000 Sweeten Creek Drive.

When crews arrived, the second floor and attic of the home were engulfed in fire. It took crews about an hour to get the fire under control. No one was home when the fire started.

The damage was estimated at $400,000.

Authorities said lightning struck a pine tree next to the house. In addition to causing the fire, the lightning strike damaged part of the electrical system of a neighboring home.