RDU prepares for holiday rush
Posted July 1, 2008 11:37 a.m. EDT
Raleigh, N.C. — Raleigh-Durham International Airport officials expect nearly 150,000 holiday travelers to extend lines and clog parking lots beginning Tuesday.
Officials recommend that air passengers plan to arrive at the airport 90 minutes before their scheduled departure to allow enough time for parking, check-in and security clearance.
RDU offered these tips for families traveling with small children:
- Children must be removed from strollers and carriers before proceeding through the security screening area.
- All carry-on items, including strollers, child seats, diaper bags, blankets and toys must go through security screening procedures.
- All bags hanging on and carried under strollers must be removed and put through the X-ray machine.
- To expedite the screening process, passengers should collapse and fold strollers and place them on the X-ray belt.
- Sharp or pointed toys should be packed in checked luggage.
- If a child is traveling alone, families can make special arrangements with their airline to accompany the child to the departure gate.