Tar Heel Trivia Returns
Posted April 2, 2009 10:47 a.m. EDT
We haven’t done this in a while. How about another round of Tar Heel Trivia? How extensive is your knowledge of the Old North State? Test yourself with the following list of questions. But before you do I have a favor to ask. I am getting ready to take a two week vacation and I’d like to take a great new novel with me. Any recommendations?
Okay. Back to the quiz. I will post the answers later today.
1. What famous French science-fiction author wrote about a fearsome mountain in Western North Carolina in 1874?
2. Who was the first US president to have his picture taken in the White House?
3. The Andy Griffith Show was a spinoff of what popular CBS series?
4. What Winston-Salem based airline began service in 1948 with a flight from Wilmington to Charlotte to Cincinnati?
5. More than 2,800 Union soldiers filed out of a Civil War prison in what North Carolina town in 1865?
6. What Ivy League school did Davidson College try to emulate after opening in 1837 north of Charlotte?
7. What Chapel Hill musician appeared on the cover of Time Magazine in March of 1971?
8. What bird almost beat out the cardinal as NC’s official state bird?
9. Who became the first black elected mayor of a predominately white Southern town?
10. What Franklinton native threw a major league no-hitter as a rookie in 1973