Some Gifts Way, Way Beyond Dog Sweaters
Posted November 26, 2007 1:35 p.m. EST
Updated November 27, 2007 1:39 a.m. EST
What do you buy for the dog who has everything? She's already got the handcrafted dog tag, the gemstone collar, and the designer wardrobe. She eats out of a handmade bowl and her bed is monogrammed. You've had her photo made into a blanket or a rug to demonstrate your utter devotion.
Maybe you've run out of ideas to make your canine-centric life, or that of a friend's, more elegant. You're afraid you've done it all.
But, it's the holidays - is there anything left for the dog owner who doesn't know when to stop? Of course there is! Read on:
- You don't walk everywhere - that's why they invented taxis. So why should your dog? Sure, you could put her in a stroller, but that's old hat, and they're so unfashionable. You've tried the designer doggie purses, but she feels so cramped. What you need is the new Puppoose, at http://www.feeltheflo.com
It's a hand-crocheted carrier for your small dog that you wear slung over your shoulder, holding her in front where she can see the world. Something like a hammock with holes for your pup's legs, it has a neck cushion for human comfort and a safety strap.
- With your dog nicely displayed in the Puppoose, everyone can admire your pooch's elegant attire. But perhaps it's a little disappointing that her hairstyle is the same day after day? Get her a dog wig from Ruth Regina of Bay Harbour Islands, Florida, eighth-generation wigmaker to the stars.
You can see a variety of styles from curls to braids to bouffant, and a range of colors at http://www.wigglesdogwigs.com. Your pup can discover whether blondes really do have more fun _ and best of all, this hair won't shed on the couch.
- At home, your precious eats the best in natural, organic, boutique cuisine. But have you neglected to think about the beverage? Sure, there's always the flavored vitamin-enriched water bottled especially for dogs. But how about something a little more sophisticated?
Unfortunately, you can't get doggie wine - yet - but your pup can relax with a nice bottle of nonalcoholic beer from Dog Star Brewing Company, http://www.beerfordogs.com. Brewed with artesian water and malted barley, flavored with all-natural beef drippings, and fortified with glucosamine for healthy joints and vitamin E, Happy Tail Ale is sold in a six-pack so there's enough to share with friends.
- Of course, no matter how elegant the diet, there is the delicate problem of the end product. So here's a present for dog owners: You no longer have to settle for dealing with droppings as nature intended them - technology has come to the rescue in the form of Poop-Freeze.
According to the manufacturer, "Poop-Freeze is a specially formulated aerosol freeze spray that, upon contact, forms a frosty film on dog poop (or cat poop) to harden the surface for easy pick-up." Originally intended for those messy accidents in the house, it can be used anywhere, anytime, for more civilized canine cleanup. See http://www.poop-freeze.com.
- In the end, though, you do still have to pick it up, so where do you keep those pesky bags? Take your hint from the stars. Carry them in style in a fashion bag carrier - the same one used by celebrities like Eva Longoria and her Maltese, Jinxy, according to the folks at D.O.G. Pet Boutique in West Hollywood.
Available in a variety of colors and patterns at http://www.dogpetboutique.com, they attach to any leash, and can hold your cell phone too. As Christian Velasco of the store says, "What celebrity wants to walk around with a poop bag?"
Exactly - and why should you?
E-mail Linda Lombardi at creaturewriter(at)gmail.com.