Some Gifts Way, Way Beyond Dog Sweaters
What do you buy for the dog who has everything? She's already got the handcrafted dog tag, the gemstone collar, and the designer wardrobe. She eats out of a handmade bowl and her bed is monogrammed. You've had her photo made into a blanket or a rug to demonstrate your utter devotion.Posted — Updated
What do you buy for the dog who has everything? She's already got the handcrafted dog tag, the gemstone collar, and the designer wardrobe. She eats out of a handmade bowl and her bed is monogrammed. You've had her photo made into a blanket or a rug to demonstrate your utter devotion.
Maybe you've run out of ideas to make your canine-centric life, or that of a friend's, more elegant. You're afraid you've done it all.
But, it's the holidays - is there anything left for the dog owner who doesn't know when to stop? Of course there is! Read on:
- You don't walk everywhere - that's why they invented taxis. So why should your dog? Sure, you could put her in a stroller, but that's old hat, and they're so unfashionable. You've tried the designer doggie purses, but she feels so cramped. What you need is the new Puppoose, at http://www.feeltheflo.com
It's a hand-crocheted carrier for your small dog that you wear slung over your shoulder, holding her in front where she can see the world. Something like a hammock with holes for your pup's legs, it has a neck cushion for human comfort and a safety strap.
- With your dog nicely displayed in the Puppoose, everyone can admire your pooch's elegant attire. But perhaps it's a little disappointing that her hairstyle is the same day after day? Get her a dog wig from Ruth Regina of Bay Harbour Islands, Florida, eighth-generation wigmaker to the stars.
You can see a variety of styles from curls to braids to bouffant, and a range of colors at http://www.wigglesdogwigs.com. Your pup can discover whether blondes really do have more fun _ and best of all, this hair won't shed on the couch.
- At home, your precious eats the best in natural, organic, boutique cuisine. But have you neglected to think about the beverage? Sure, there's always the flavored vitamin-enriched water bottled especially for dogs. But how about something a little more sophisticated?
Unfortunately, you can't get doggie wine - yet - but your pup can relax with a nice bottle of nonalcoholic beer from Dog Star Brewing Company, http://www.beerfordogs.com. Brewed with artesian water and malted barley, flavored with all-natural beef drippings, and fortified with glucosamine for healthy joints and vitamin E, Happy Tail Ale is sold in a six-pack so there's enough to share with friends.
- Of course, no matter how elegant the diet, there is the delicate problem of the end product. So here's a present for dog owners: You no longer have to settle for dealing with droppings as nature intended them - technology has come to the rescue in the form of Poop-Freeze.
According to the manufacturer, "Poop-Freeze is a specially formulated aerosol freeze spray that, upon contact, forms a frosty film on dog poop (or cat poop) to harden the surface for easy pick-up." Originally intended for those messy accidents in the house, it can be used anywhere, anytime, for more civilized canine cleanup. See http://www.poop-freeze.com.
- In the end, though, you do still have to pick it up, so where do you keep those pesky bags? Take your hint from the stars. Carry them in style in a fashion bag carrier - the same one used by celebrities like Eva Longoria and her Maltese, Jinxy, according to the folks at D.O.G. Pet Boutique in West Hollywood.
Available in a variety of colors and patterns at http://www.dogpetboutique.com, they attach to any leash, and can hold your cell phone too. As Christian Velasco of the store says, "What celebrity wants to walk around with a poop bag?"
Exactly - and why should you?
E-mail Linda Lombardi at creaturewriter(at)gmail.com.
Copyright 2023 by WRAL.com and the Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.