Adding a fence around your property can provide you with instant privacy and a sense of security for children and pets. Fences can also add beauty, character and certainly value to your home. But before making an investment in a fence it is important to consider several factors and to take a look at all the available options.
For most homeowners, there is usually a specific reason driving their decision to install a new fence. Some of these are:
- Privacy Fencing: Depending on how much privacy you want a fence can provide either a complete or partial shield from the outside world.
- Safety & Security Fencing: Children and pets can be kept safely contained in an enclosed yard and to a certain extent "strangers" can be kept out.
- Property Values & Appearance
There are so many choices in materials and styles of fences one of the first things you should do is take a look around your neighborhood and surrounding areas and begin to take notes of the style and appearance of fences that appeal to your own personal taste. Considering the basic architectural style of your home and landscaping will also help you make the right choice.
The cheapest fence to install is not always the most economical in the long run. Considering factors such as maintenance and installation costs will help determine the total cost of a fence over its lifetime.
Once you have considered all the factors above and you are still having a hard time choosing the right fence, try using Fence Center's Online Fence Selection Wizard to help you make your final decision.
No matter what your tastes are, your reasons for installing a fence or the style you would like, there are three basic materials used to build fences—wood, metal and PVC or vinyl. Each has different advantages, comes in a wide variety of styles and provides a distinctive look. Below is an overview of each of these fence materials, their advantages and some examples to check out.
- Beautiful, natural look
- Easily & quickly installed
Types of Wood Fences:
- Solid Board
- Split Rail
- Pet Control
- Graffiti Resistant
- Virtually maintenance Free
- U.V. Protected - never needs painted
- Color goes all the way through - scratches or gouges almost invisible
- Does not rot or rust
- Strong & Flexible
Types of Vinyl Fences:
- Pool fences