The National Survey on Drug Use and Health said the problem is growing especially among girls.
Like any drug, household chemicals can be deadly. Mona Casey's 15-year-old son, Charles, died last year from inhaling freon.
Many of the inhalants that kids use have hydrocarbons. When those compounds are drawn into the lungs, they enter the brain, creating a feeling of intoxication. Dr. Theodore Bania, of St. Luke's Roosevelt Hospital in New York City, said too much "huffing" can wreak havoc on the body.
Experts say the best thing parents can do is talk to their kids about it. Dan Coates said he wishes he had that conversation with his son, Brady. Last year, Brady died tying to get high off of butane.
"It's not a drug. It's poison and our kids need to understand that these chemicals that are in our kitchens, our garages, out buildings, they can all take your life in a matter of minutes," Coates said.
Copyright 2022 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.