Libby’s Has A New Pumpkin Pie Recipe For The First Time Ever
Posted October 2, 2019 2:50 p.m. EDT
Updated March 23, 2021 12:00 p.m. EDT
But there’s one pumpkin food that never gets old, and that’s a classic pumpkin pie. Whether you’re treating yourself on a random day or making one for Thanksgiving or the holidays, you pretty much can’t go wrong when you make an old-fashioned pumpkin pie in your own kitchen.
Classic is classic, and that’s why Libby’s has kept the pumpkin pie recipe on the back of their canned pumpkin the same for 75 years. Well, until now! While you’ll still be able to find their classic pumpkin pie recipe on all their cans, it will now be next to a brand-new recipe called the New-Fashioned pumpkin pie.
This is the first time the brand has created a new pumpkin pie, and it’s a creamier twist on their famous pumpkin pie recipe. It includes both evaporated and sweetened condensed milk, while the classic recipe only uses evaporated. Aside from that and the omission of some extra sugar, the recipe is pretty much the same.
However, Libby’s New-Fashioned pumpkin pie will take you 15 minutes to prep and 40 minutes to bake, versus 55 minutes of baking time for the classic recipe. Take a look at the full recipe below:
- 15 ounces, or 1 can Libby’s 100% pure pumpkin
- 1 cup Nestle Carnation evaporated milk
- 1 3/4 cups, 1 can or 14 ounces Nestle Carnation sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 large eggs
- 1 unbaked 9-inch deep-dish pie shell
1. Mix dry ingredients in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and dry ingredient mixture. Gradually stir in the two types of milk.
2. Pour the mixture into the pie shell.
3. Bake in preheated oven at 425 F for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 F; bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
4. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate.
Don’t feel like making your own pumpkin pie? If you have a Costco near you, you can bring home their fan-favorite 12-inch Kirkland Signature pumpkin pie, which returned to stores just in time for the season, for just $5.99.