Lacrosse accuser to appear on TV crime program
The Durham woman who falsely accused three Duke University lacrosse players of rape in 2006 and now faces a murder charge in a separate case will be featured on a television crime program this fall.Posted — Updated
Crystal Mangum will be on one of six episodes of "Wives with Knives," slated to premiere on the Investigation Discovery channel on Nov. 23, network spokeswoman Deborah Gottschalk said Friday.
A date for Mangum's episode hasn't been set, Gottschalk said.
Mangum, 33, is charged in the April 2011 death of Reginald Daye, 46, who was stabbed with a kitchen knife during an argument at his Durham apartment, police said. They had been dating for about a month at the time of his death.
She is being held in the Durham County jail under a $200,000 bond.
In March 2006, she claimed three white players on the lacrosse team trapped her inside a bathroom at 610 N. Buchanan Blvd., where she was performing as a stripper at a team party, and raped and sexually assaulted her.
Her story about the incident was so inconsistent that Attorney General Roy Cooper later declared the players innocent, saying there was no credible evidence against them.
In February 2010, police arrested Mangum after an altercation between her and a different boyfriend. In that incident, she was accused of assaulting the man in front of her children and setting some of his clothes on fire.
She was later convicted of child abuse, injury to personal property and resisting a public officer in the case, but prosecutors dismissed an arson charge after a jury couldn't reach a verdict.
Copyright 2024 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.