Weather

Watching the weekend, and the slight chance for a flurry on Wednesday morning

Posted December 4, 2018 4:39 a.m. EST
Updated December 4, 2018 10:32 p.m. EST

— The colder air that will usher in a chance for wintry precipitation began pouring into central North Carolina on Tuesday.

Tuesday's high temperature reached 51 degrees in Raleigh, and the gradual slide has begun. Temperatures overnight will drop into the 30s and WRAL meteorologist Kat Campbell said flurries are possible for the morning commute Wednesday.

"We're not expecting any accumulation or impact from this system," she said, noting ground temperatures will be to warm for any flurries to stick.

Winter weather advisories were issued Tuesday night for the North Carolina mountains as snow began flying, but Campbell said flurries will be isolated in the Triangle.

Temperatures will be cooler for Wednesday and Thursday, which will see highs in the mid-40s and plenty of sunshine.

Friday will be sunny and warmer, with a high near 50, before the week's main weather event begins.

7-Day Forecast

"Confidence is increasing that we will see at least some kind of a [wintry] mix this weekend," Campbell said.

Although the system is still nearly 3,000 miles away, the European Model shows there is an 88 percent chance of Raleigh seeing at least 1 inch of snow. The same model shows a 64 percent chance of the Triangle seeing 3 inches of snow and a 36 percent for the area to see 6 inches.

Chance for weekend snow- model 1

A American Model shows a 57 percent chance for 1 inch of snow, a 43 percent chance of 3 inches of snow and just a 19 percent chance for 6 inches, Campbell said.

Chance for weekend snow- model 2

"This is still five days away, so we won't be talking specifics for quite some time," WRAL Chief Meteorologist Greg Fishel said.

The system that brings the risk for snow is expected to move into the area late Saturday and will last at least through Sunday.

"There's still some question on whether or not this could last early into next week as well," Campbell said.

Although it is likely the Triangle will see snow for a period of time over the weekend, there is a good chance the precipitation could change over to rain. The timing of that change will play a major role in how much snow will fall.

"There's still a lot of questions in terms of precipitation type. That would determine what our totals could be," Campbell said.