How to get help from FEMA

Posted September 1, 2011 12:16 p.m. EDT
Updated October 13, 2016 8:39 a.m. EDT

Those with hurricane-related losses in Beaufort, Bertie, Brunswick, Camden, Carteret, Chowan, Craven, Currituck, Dare, Duplin, Edgecombe, Gates, Greene, Halifax, Hertford, Hyde, Johnston, Jones, Lenoir, Martin, Nash, New Hanover, Northampton, Onslow, Pamlico, Pasquotank, Pender, Perquinams, Pitt, Tyrrell, Vance, Warren, Washington, Wayne and Wilson counties have until Jan. 23, 2012 to apply for help from FEMA. 

Apply by phone: Call 800-621-FEMA or TTY at 800-462-7485 from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., seven days a week until further notice. Operators are multilingual. If you use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS) call 800-621-3362.

Apply online: By computer, go online to; By smartphone or tablet, use or download FEMA's app for Android phones:

When registering, you will need the following information:

  • Social Security number;
  • Current mailing address;
  • Address of the damaged property;
  • A brief description of the damages; and
  • Any insurance information, including the policy number and the name of your agent.
  • A phone number where you can be reached.

Assistance from FEMA could include:

Temporary housing - money to rent a different place to live;
Repairs - grants to repair some of the disaster-related damage that is not covered by insurance; and
Other needs assistance - grants for necessary and serious needs caused by the disaster. This includes medical, dental, funeral, personal property, transportation, vehicle repair or replacement, moving and storage and other expenses that FEMA approves.

Find FEMA offices:

The map below lists tree, water and electrical impacts of Hurricane Irene in North Carolina. Click on the red cross for FEMA office locations and hours.

View Hurricane Irene damage reports in a larger map