Get Out of Debt Guy

How Can I Get My Name Off this Student Loan?

Posted August 15, 2014 3:39 p.m. EDT
Updated November 8, 2014 6:45 p.m. EST

WRAL Reader Question

Dear Steve,

I have a parent student loan. I took it out because I was informed by the school my son was not eligible to take out a loan under his name. The loan is in my name , through Sallie Mae, they are unwilling to change to my son name, even thought he is paying the loan.

What can be done? I am looking to alternative to get this loan transferred . Please let me know if this is possible.


Click here to get my free my weekday email newsletter with the latest tips and advice on how to beat debt and do better financially. Subscribe now.


Dear Edwin,

It's your loan and ultimately you alone are responsible for it. 

It sounds as if this is a private student loan but in case it is a federal student loan that is simply being serviced by Sallie Mae then you may be eligible to consolidate it into a new loan that could be repaid under an income based plan.

You could have the loan transferred to your son if the lender allowed it, which is doubtful. Outside of that the only other way to get your name off the loan would be to pay it off.

The good news here is it sounds as if your son is making the payments.

Before I go, here are to tackle your issue.


Steve Rhode
WRAL Get Out of Debt Guy

If you have a credit or debt question you'd like to ask about, how to get out of debt, just click here and ask away.

If you'd like to stay posted on all the latest get out of debt news and scam alerts, subscribe to my free newsletter.

About this Blog:

Steve Rhode has had careers in opthalmology, real estate and as the head of a nonprofit debt counseling firm. On his blog, he offers hard-won, free advice about getting out of debt, consolidation and making the right choices as you manage your money.