Hit-and-Run Suspect Faces More Charges
Posted February 15, 2008 4:32 p.m. EST
Raleigh, N.C. — More charges were filed Friday against a man accused of intentionally causing a wreck that killed two people last month in Garner.
Victoriano Layon, 36, has been indicted on two counts of second-degree murder, one count of assault with a deadly weapon and two counts of misdemeanor child abuse in connection with a fatal crash on U.S. Highway 70 in Garner on Jan. 11.
Wanda Altman, 52, of Clayton, and Daris Hancock, 49, of Star, were killed in the wreck.
Police said Altman and Hancock were at the intersection of U.S. 70 and White Oak Road when Layon rear-ended their Ford Taurus at 45 mph. Layon then ran from the scene, leaving behind his wife and two children, police said.
Garner police charged Layon Friday with misdemeanor assault with a deadly weapon, misdemeanor child abuse and contributing to the delinquency of a juvenile in the case.