Healthy Recipe: Meat loaf muffins from The Duke Diet
Posted January 4, 2011 7:06 p.m. EST
Here's a lunch or dinner recipe that the kids might be able to get behind: meat loaf muffins. It's from The Duke Diet, the world-renowned program for healthy and lasting weight loss developed by experts at Duke University. The recipe is adapted from Cooking Light, March 2006.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- ½ cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup ketchup, no salt added, divided
- 1½ pounds ground beef, extra lean
- 1 cup crushed saltine crackers (fat-free, low sodium)
- 2 Tbsp prepared mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
3. Add chopped onion, chopped carrot, dried oregano, and minced garlic -- sauté 2 minutes.
4. Allow to cool.
5. Combine cooled onion mixture, ½ cup ketchup, and the remaining ingredients (except cooking spray) in a large bowl.
6. Spoon the meat mixture into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray.
7. Top each with 2 tsp ketchup.
8. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until a thermometer registers 160ºF.
9. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Analysis per Serving
* Calories: 300
* Fat: 10 g
* Carbohydrate: 24 g
* Protein: 28 g
* Food Groups: ½ starch, ½ vegetable, 3 protein
Servings: 6, Serving Size: 2 muffins
Check Duke Diet & Fitness Center's website for more about the programs there. Check the box above for more healthy recipes and back here on Go Ask Mom each day this week for others.