Local News

Hazmat crews called to Cree in RTP

Posted November 23, 2010 4:04 p.m. EST
Updated November 24, 2010 6:54 a.m. EST

— Two contractors working at Cree, Inc. in Research Triangle Park were transported to the hospital after coming into contact with hydrochloric acid on Tuesday afternoon, Bethesda Volunteer Fire Company Chief Robert Andrews said.

Crews were called to 3026 E. Cornwallis Road for a pipe burst around 3 p.m., but the issue was upgraded to an acid spill, the department said. 

The contractors immediately washed the acid off in nearby showers, which are located throughout the building as a precaution, Andrews said. They were taken to Duke University Hospital as a precaution. 

The building was evacuated when hazmat crews arrived. Andrews said the pipe that was leaking the acid was immediately shut off. 

Cree was founded in 1987 in Durham by former North Carolina State University students and now employs more than 1,700 in the Triangle.