Hatteras Island re-entry temporarily closed
Posted September 5, 2011 1:18 p.m. EDT
Updated September 5, 2011 10:15 p.m. EDT
RODANTHE, N.C. — Re-entry for Hatteras Island residents was temporarily suspended on Monday due to damaged equipment at the Stumpy Point ferry dock, county officials said.
Dare County emergency management officials say a supporting structure for the ferry ramp was damaged by heavy equipment while loading onto a ferry.
The ramp will re-open at 6 a.m. Tuesday.
Residents and property owners of Hatteras Island who have questions about re-entry can call Dare County Emergency Management at 252-475-5655.
Residents of seven villages on the island started returning at noon on Monday. Previously, only residents of Hatteras village, Frisco and Buxton were going to be able to return home through Labor Day. Those villages suffered the least damage from Irene, which made landfall Aug. 27 near Cape Lookout.
But on Sunday night, officials said residents of Rodanthe, Waves, Salvo and Avon also would be allowed to go home Monday. Irene hit those villages the hardest, carving new breaches at Rodanthe and points north.
Visitors aren't going to be allowed on the island until after Sept. 17 at the earliest.