17 NC counties are under alert, including Johnston County. Details
Published: 2021-02-14 14:35:00
Updated: 2021-02-17 17:50:08
By Kevin Kuzminski, WRAL multiplatform producer
Raleigh, N.C. — Gov. Roy Cooper offered an update on Sunday afternoon on the state's efforts to restore power to communities after Saturday's icy conditions.
Cooper's office says that utility crews are working Sunday to restore power to about 80,000 customers who were remaining without it after the weather event took down tree branches and power lines in the state's northern counties and Triad area.
"Utility workers are out in force, working to get everyone’s power restored as quickly as possible,” Cooper said.
Power outages peaked late Saturday morning with about 194,000 statewide, and the situation has been improving quickly since then.
The Governor's office says NCDOT crews have used 360 workers, 275 trucks and graders and more than 1,000 tons of salt and sand during this winter weather event.